Who will be the 2017 Pulitzer Prize Winner for Fiction?
March 7, 2017
The 2017 Pulitzer Prizes will be announced in April. Because the names of the finalists are not released ahead of time, the winner is a surprise every year. But for ten years we have been posting a prediction list prepared by a fellow Pulitzer collector and research scientist. The list is the product of a regression analysis that weighs a given book's performance in other book awards, as well as the author's past award and nomination history.
Here is an updated list that incorporates the LA Times Finalist and the PEN Faulkner Finalist. Adam Haslett moves up to #3 and Garth Greenwell enters at #8. We will post another tweak as we approach the award announcement.
1. The Underground Railroad by Colson Whitehead
2. LaRose by Louise Erdrich
3. Imagine Me Gone by Adam Haslett
4. Commonwealth by Ann Patchett
5. Moonglow by Michael Chabon
6. The Association of Small Bombs by Karen Mahajan
7. Behold the Dreamers by Imbolo Mbue
8. What Belongs to You by Garth Greenwell
9. Homegoing by Yaa Gyasi
10. The Nix by Nathan Hill
11. The Sport of Kings by C.E. Morgan
12. Christodora by Tim Murphy
13. Missile Paradise by Ron Tanner
14. An Unrestored Woman by Shoba Rao
15. The Unseen World by Liz Moore
Comment on our lists, or offer your own opinion about who you think will win the 2017 Pulitzer Prize for Fiction: